Friday, December 12, 2008

I absolutely believe the economic hard times - see evidenc around me - but it's odd because Austin does seem to be in a bit of a protective bouble for now, at least at the upper end. Parking lots at upscale restaurants are full night after night. And the NutCracker - which runs eighteen performances here, is just about sold out - the more expensive seats all sold out except for an occasional loose single seat at the edge of a good section. We are going tomorrow night, Ruth and Chris, Bob and I, and Joanna and Tray, and taking K.K. out to late supper after at Katz - (Katz Never Kloses) her favorite restaurant, a New York style Deli run by a family from synagogue. The owner, Mark Katz, knows K.K. from times when she and I ate there frequently between dance classes and he always comes over and speaks to us and gives her a piece of complementary cheescake occasionally. She always hopes. Tomorrow should be festive. And I think Bob is going to drive home tonight, so I treasure having him for a few extra hours - and of course next weekend he will be home for his break - Hooray! He was a little down yesterday because his kids did not score well on the benchmark test - but I think it's at least partly because half the class was sick. I hope Bob stays well.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I've been amazed at how insulated our little town seems too. And I'm looking forward to our evening of culture and cuisine tomorrow night. (Thanks again by the way). It's exciting to think that Bob will be home soon for a longish break (and that Chris and I will have some time off together!)

Judy Roney said...

Sorry that Bob's class did not score as high on tests as he had hoped. I hope he stays well since he will soon get a little down time away from the stresses of work.
It sounds like you have such a wonderful evening planned for KK's dance and then the restaurant. Very appropriate that her favorite would be a NYC style deli. :) I hope she got that free taste of cheesecake. I look forward to hearing how the performance and the dinner went.

Mary said...

When we've gone out, we've experienced restaurants as being full too. I do believe the economic hard times, but it also seems that people ARE eating out.

I hope you enjoy your time with family...it does sound like a wonderful together time!