Wednesday, February 25, 2009

There is a new food option near my office - a trailer kitchen from which two young men sell fish tacos, breakfast tacos, and fish and chips. They use fresh ingredients and my breakfast taco was delicious and cost only $1.75. These guys both have a sweetness about them, an eagerness about their new business. Both have numerous facial piercings and tattoos - looks that would not appeal to me, but I like these guys and want them to succeed. One of their friends who lives in the neighborhood talked with me a bit. He says he is making his living helping people move out of the big houses they can't afford into smaller houses. Signs of economic distress are more visible here now - office space to rent, a few closed restaurants, but mostly people's stories about reduced wages and hours. I still feel hopeful in face of our President's recovery policies. And I found two optimism quotes I like on a friend's blog today.

Winston Churchill said, "The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thomas Jefferson said, "I steer my bark with hope in the head, leaving fear astern. My hopes indeed sometimes fail, but not oftener than the forebodings of the gloomy."

1 comment:

Mary said...

I hope too that the new business will succeed. I wonder if people with facial piercings and tattoos ever consider though that perhaps their choice would affect other people's decision to buy from them? Probably not...but just wondering. And probably there are as many who pass by who would be positively influenced to buy as there would be negatively affected.