Friday, January 16, 2009

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

That quote is especially powerful for me. I'm not thinking as much about religious faith, exactly, at least not any partiular theology, but about the choice to put one foot in front of the other and take the next little risk, to keep loving and lifing actively, knowing that the bottom can fall out in any way at any moment. I have no idea what the whole staircase looks like, and know I can't know. Taking each step is enough.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Love love LOVE this quote--and I hadn't heard it before. Thanks for sharing it!

Peggy said...

Yes, great description of faith in life. Sometimes I think it best that we cannot see the whole staircase for that might just be way too frightening!

Mary said...

I had not heard this quotation before either.

It is a good one, so significant to be able to take the first step.

My younger daugter and I were able to visit the MLK King properties in Atlanta when we visited Atlanta for a church youth event Very moving to walk where he walked.