Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Today felt- no, was- intensely busy at work. I didn't even count sessions - don't want to know. The next two days will be the same, but that's OK. The beach week was refreshing at every level - I couldn't tell how much until we were home and I approached the busy week with plenty of bounce. I am looking forward to a short hiking trip west with Bob at the beginning of his week off, and then to making Thanksgiving and sharing it with family. I'm really missing the other generations - my fault, traveling and working too much. I expect to reconnect during the Thanksgiving break, at least a little.

It seems like a good idea to list blessings as the holiday of gratitude approaches. It's odd to notice that I feel self conscious even starting because there are just so many and most of them so ordinary (and yet not everyone in the world or even in my community has even basics) So I am thankful for sufficient food, water and shelter - sleeping warm on cold nights, clean enough air to breath, ability to buy health care services, peace in the streets, living in our democracy, people who love me, people to love, health, energy, words, hope.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Victoria, I end every day adding at least five things to my gratitude journal, often more. This takes care of the "so many little things" aspect of being thankful and brightens even the gloomiest day.

Anonymous said...

good reminder to make the holiday one of appreciation, not just turkey - I am very grateful for 20 minutes.

Mary said...

Victoria, the blessings I have to be thankful for our ordinary too. Mostly the sameblessings you are thankful for. Unashamedly!

Mary said...

Victoria, the blessings I have to be thankful for our ordinary too. Mostly the sameblessings you are thankful for. Unashamedly!

Judy Roney said...

What busy weeks to get back into after your time in paradise (beach), Victoria. i'm glad you had that time off to just relax and enjoy for a while. I do imagine that in your line of work the holidays will be especially busy. Enjoy your hike Bob, its nice to have that to look forward to.
Thankful, yes, its that time of year to bring our blessings to the forefront. I would hope that I would recognize them all year but at Thanksgiving I like to take note of the past year of blessings.