Thursday, November 06, 2008

Racism does still swirl in the background regarding the Presidency. A UT football player was taken of the tea for posting something ugly and racist about Barack Obama on Facebook - and at Baylor some students burned Obama McCain signs and somebody hung a noose in a tree - evoking images of lynching. I keep hearing people talk about fear that someone will assassinate OBama for racial reasons. I think my fears of assassination (which are mile) are more because he gives me hope and it's scary that hope could be dashed by a murder. I think about the Kennedy and King assassinatins, especially that of Bobby Kennedy, which I associate with shattered hope

3 comments:

Peggy said...

I too find these undercurrents disturbing. I feel so optimistic and hopeful for the future of our country and pray none of these racist horrors come to pass. I can hardly believe how interested i feel about national politics all of a sudden. I guess hope will do that.

Mary said...

I have heard some others speak of fears of assassination. I hope these fears are unfounded, that nothing will happen to our newly elected President and that those who post or do ugly racist things will be forced to stop.

Mary said...

You said "Racism does still swirl in the background regarding the Presidency." I hope soon people will speak about Barack Obama as the new President without feeling it necessary to focus do much on the fact he is Black. Actually, if one is exact, he is half Black and half White; and I think people, with all the mention of Black, have somewhat lost track of that. It would be more accurate, if necessary and most often I think it would not be, to say that he is 'mixed race.'