Friday, August 31, 2007

Labor Day is coming up and I want to think of it as more than a Monday off from school and work so I started looking up labor quotes. There are many and it is late - so I will just share two. The first is essence to me - my Grandma Anna's lesson. All our little tasks, the quality with which we accomplish them, do cout for something. The second quote strikes my sense of iron.

Helen Keller:
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

John W Gardner

The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water.

2 comments:

mary j. said...

I love these quotes, very powerful and meaningful. thanks for looking them up and sharing!

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL quotes--both of them. So well worded and important. I wonder how we can get those sentiments more out there?