Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My book group inspires me to read all kinds of books I would probably never pick up without the other women's suggestions. I have just started a very fat and intriguing biography of Albert Einstein (Albert Einstein His Life and Universe) by Walter Isaacson, who also wrote a major biography of Benjamin Franklin. The focus in the book I think is on the combination of freedom and creativity in Einstein's way of framing the universe. I've barely started but I already have a couple of cool Einstein quotes on education.

"Critical comments by students should be taken with a friendly spirit."

"Accumulation of material should not stifle the student's independence."

"In teaching history there should be extensive discussion of personalities who benefited mankind through independence of character and judgement."

On another note (thinking about multiple intelligences) Einstein told a psychologist that he did not usually think in words, but had to apply words after having the thought to communicate with other people. I think my Dad was like that too. Joanna says the words are not the thoughts for her either. For me thoughts come in words - images flash in my mind, but I think of the thoughts as actually BEING the words, though illustrated by images. Interesting how different we all are.

No comments: