Sunday, March 28, 2010

I recently learned the definition of an alarming set of initials "WIFM". It means "What's in it for me?" I am not completely niave. I know peopld including myself do have natural survival impulses and self interest - but oin my mind most of what civilizing us is about - definitely what my spirituall path is about, is getting away from "What's in it for me?" to "What is best for the whole?" The idea that self interest would be considered acceptable enough to be given it's own set of intials and normalized as a motivator that it is OK to play to makes me very sad. I think I see some of that in response to the recent health care bill. I see people thinking about it more in individual and less in collective terms, some of those who are happy about it as well as some of those who are against it. I know I can't get away from self interest completely. I do care more if Liam and Andrea starve than if faceless babies in Africa starve, as they do, every minute. I don't expect to get away from that level of self interest. I think it is probably hard wired for survival when circumstances are life and death. But the application and normilazation of self interest to the point of catch phrases in situations that aren't life and death is deeply disturbing to me.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I agree with you, Victoria. i hadn't yet heard WIFM. It definitely bothers me to think that people might be using this kind of idea ALONe to deterMine what they believe or will do.

Joe Hendricks said...

I see these a fair amount:
WBW - With Best Wishes
BW - Best Wishes

And this one has been around since early internet days:
HTH - Hope This Helps

And here's a new one:
ILMSV - I Love My Sister Victoria