Friday, February 12, 2010

I sometimes think about mortality and how I have fewer years left than I've lived. All of that is true. But also true is that I'm thankful I'm no longer thirteen. K.K. is delightful and full of promise, but being thirteen, even beautiful and talented, is hard - managing the world of boys, auditions, assignments, injuries, trying to be responsible and still have fun, is hard. I remember how it felt, all churned up and insecure. I just went in and kissed her, sound asleep on the couch with Duffy curled in her arms and whispered "Hang in there kid. It get's better." And it truly does.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I hope you will also say that again and again and again to KK when she's awake, Victoria. How marvelous that she has you on her side through these challenging years!

Mary said...

A beautiful piece of writing, Victoria. Yes.....it truly does!

Diane T said...

I remember how it felt too.....and yes, it does get better!