Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It rained today - good wet rain and towers of pink cloud at dusk. I'm about to goout and walk Lobo in the moonlight. I had a good work day, rewarding. Bob and I actually talked about retirement this weekend - the first time it felt real, like something about us - really - something we might actually eventually do. He could retire with full benefits from teacher retirement at 65 (six more school years) and might work an extra year to keep insurance untio I'm Medicare eligible. I can imagine going to part time then - maybe working out of the house - traveling more (maybe actually retiring completely myself but that still feels alien) - but cutting back - traveling more - could be good. It is a relief to understand when a practical time for Bob to retire would be.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

So happy ya'll had a useful talk on this subject (and thankful you shared). It's exciting to think about retirement in less than 10 years--about a time you can be together and focus more on eachother and travel and writing (and of course SPROUT!)

Peggy said...

Kind of weird when retirement becomes a real-sounding topic. Having had retirement dumped on me without really thinking about it, I think looking forward to it and planning would be the way to go. It's a while off for you though but good to start thinking about it!

Mary said...

Interesting to learn that Bob and you are beginning to think retirement thoughts. I remember this time and how at first the time felt so long until it would happen, and then all of a sudden it was happening. Time really does pass very fast. And it seems now that I have been retired a long time! And every year has been good. What fun for Bob and you to think about this happy time of life when you will have more time to travel, etc.