Friday, October 05, 2007

I'm trying to get my twentieth century mind around my twenty first century world - and have probably been reading too much post apocalyptic fiction (Cormac McCarthy and Terry Brooks) and watching too much of The War and listening to the horrors of revolution in Liberia as related in the excellent novel The Darling. I went into HEB this evening, listening to scenes of revolution in Africa (fueled in part by extreme differences between rich and poor), and noticed that the office area of the store where people go to get checks cashed is decorated party style with green and gold dollar signs - an odd tribute to capitalism and disturbing to me.

I had a great work week, hearing many comments from people about their pleasure in finding greater spiritual balance, more skills for behaving kindly in the world - and yet the context of the world is so harsh, or much of it. Odd.

No comments: