Saturday, February 23, 2013

If you don't reveal yourself....

Today's Dorothy quote is "If you don't reveal yourself, people will invent you." This one really influenced me to be more transparent in my communications and behavior. I find it so true. It's so easy to tell myself stories, sometimes negative or critical, about what motivates another person or what she is feeling or thinking. When that person tells me what's really up, I find the story I've .invented is almost always a little (or a lot) off the mark. Human communication is hard enough, really knowing each other is hard enough, without having to interact with a made up character who has made me up. I want to be clear that I'm not talking about full immediate disclosure of everything that's ever happened to me, just an authentic presentation of what's going on with me in the moment - like telling a client, on a day when I'm tired, that I am unexpectedly tired from staying up too late helping KK with homework, rather than letting them think I'm bored with them or burned out or somehow terribly sick.

No comments: