Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Joanna turned thirty - hard to believe. I remember so well the weekend she was born, walking to the library trying to speed up labor, the exhaustion and exhilaration associated with giving birth, starving after and gorging on cherry pie and feeling complete bliss at the perfect baby girl nestled in my arms. I remember Kerry and me both feeling utterly confused by disposable diapers - figuring them out together before we brought our little one home from the hospital - in my arms - no car seats then. I remember Kerry's Dad, orphaned young,leaning over the bassinet and saying to me (adopted) - "Just look at her. She's made of all of us." - and whether it was a dream or a vision, even my Grandma Anna managed to enter the room - or at least my consciousness - smelling of peaches and blessing baby Joanna with her sweet love. The bassinet skirt was yellow gingham...I could go on and on. It was a good beginning, that fall thirty years ago. And I love the woman, the mother, the daughter, Joanna is today. Oddly, this afternoon I got to hold my client's six week old - so tiny, so perfect - a well timed treat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is bizarre that she is 30 isn't it?

I love the sweetness with which you recall her story (and all of ours)