Friday, September 14, 2007

High Holy Day introspection is underway. I am moved as I am every year by the conscious reevaluation of the last year's choices, the emphasis on turning where desirable, changing direction, the constantly reaffirmed hope that each of our choices can make a difference for good. Whatever is written and sealed in the book of life for me, I can affect it every moment with prayer, repentance, and acts of service. The importance of transmuting energies of hurt and pride to energies of service and humility hits me deeply this year. Ego is so sneaky. I can think I am coming only from love and then suddenly realise that I am craving attention and wanting to be the one who makes the difference. The effort to be my purest and highest self in every moment is especially clear in my consciousness this time of year. In support of this effort I quote a Hassidic story I love:

" There is a famous story about an elderly sage named Reb Zusia. As he laid on his deathbed surrounded by his disciples and wept, they implored, “you were almost as wise as Moses himself”, “You were almost as kind as our father Abraham” and so on. Yet, Reb Zusia would not be comforted. “When I pass from this world and appear before the Heavenly tribunal, he said, “they won’t ask me, ‘why weren’t you as wise as Moses or as kind as Abraham;,’ rather they will ask me ‘why weren’t you Zusia!’ Why didn’t I fulfill my potential, why didn’t I follow the path that could have been mine.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that story too--such and important (and hard) message.

A Thousand thanks for our Rosh Hashannah dinner. I like your new tradition. Very sweet and FUN.