Monday, March 05, 2007

In Memory of Bloody Sunday - I am copying this from Wikkipedia. I love the proverb. I was fifteen in 1965, still under my parents' jurisdiction, too young to run off to be a freedom rider. I thought then that I would have done it if I had been old enough but I know now courage can be greater in hypothetical situations. I wonder if I would have done it if I had been eighteen. I wonder how my life would have been different if I had.

When You Pray, Move Your Feet.-- African Proverb.

On Sunday March 7, 1965, about 525 people began a fifty-four mile march from Selma, Alabama to the state capitol in Montgomery. They were demonstrating for African American voting rights and to commemorate the death of Jimmie Lee Jackson, shot three weeks earlier by an state trooper while trying to protect his mother at a civil rights demonstration. On the outskirts of Selma, after they crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge, the marchers, in plain sight of photographers and journalists, were brutally assaulted by heavily armed state troopers and deputies.

No comments: