Monday, December 04, 2006

Quiet Monday externally. The moon is full and silver in the cold sky, sparkling - the long night's moon. THe night's are long and getting longer for two more weeks - the days shortening. I like this time of year, with winter falling like a curtain. Zachary played in the yard this afternoon then ran in and flopped on the couch under two quilts. I asked him what was wrong and he looked at me like I was nuts. "Me cold." he declared and was polite enough not to follow up with "duh." It was cold but clear and bright - beautifully softly blue. I forgot to write yesterday thatt Bob and I saw an eagle flying south along MoPac when we were driving home from the park yesterday - clearly a bald eagle with white head and huge wings. They do winter on lakes north of here but we rarely see them in town - a treat.

Internally, I'm valuing personal and Constitutional freedom more than usual after spending much of the afternoon writing holiday cards to prisoners of conscience all over the world - people Amnesty International has selected as individuals incarcerated and in danger because of their efforts in the area of human rights.

I have two quotes for the day, both from Barbara Kinsolver.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope."

"It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love those quotes! I can't wait until you send me the link about how to do the holiday cards. I think a project like that would be good for me right now.