Monday, June 21, 2010

Pickup at basketball camp was as delightful as delivery. I found Zachary at the end of an eight hour day still shooting baskets with some bigger boys. He learned a lot today, including the names of positions in basketball. He had a chance to play guard, center, and forward. He reported that the coach told him he made a good guard because he is "fast as a flash", which is true, and he was especially proud of winning the jump ball when he was center since height is not one of his strong points. He talked about dribbling, passing, when to use one hand and when to use two, serious in that delightful way people are serious about activities they are enjoying getting good at. I found a library book for him, Illustrated Rules of Baseball, which he and Ruth and I all enjoyed while Chris cooked dinner. Bob bought Zachary a small shaved ice, coconut and cherry, after his long athletic day, and it was a hit. Liam and Zachary had a bath together and played with the Fischer Price little people and city that both of their mothers loved as girls.

Bob and I continue to exercize at the gym, good for both of us. I walked Lobo tonight, hoping to enjoy being outside on shortest night, night of summer solstice. It felt hot and muggy and a little spooky to me - don't know why the spooky. I didn't walk long. It is always interesting to me that the light starts dying on the longest day, when it is so bright, so evident, and is reborn on the shortest day, when it is hardly evident at all. Life in death, death in life - that is something I believe, and maybe that's the spookiness after all.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I am so glad that Zachary is enjoing shooting baskets even at the end of his eight-hour day. It is so neat that he thinks of himself as being 'fast as a flash.' It will be a self fulfilling prophecy, I think.

Glad that Bob and you continue to exercise at the gym.

mary j. said...

Victoria, I love hearing about Zachary's time at basketball camp. What a great experience for him, and what joy that he is enjoying it so much. It is fun that he is staying at your house for the week so it is something you get to really participate in, which I think will make it that much more special. The sweet moments at the end of the day were fun to read about too: the library book, the shaved ice, the bath/playing.

Ann said...

I thought of you and Zachary, Victoria, as I saw boys and girls descending upon the gym, proudly wearing their uniforms and carrying their grown-up looking sports bags. This is a very big deal, and such a positive one for some many kids.

Diane T said...

How neat that Zachary will think about himself as 'fast as a flash.' Neat that you found a book for him on the rules of basketball (I think you mean basketball rather than baseball?)while his interest is so intense. And what fun that Zachary and Liam were able to play with Little People together, toys that both their mothers enjoyed as girls! What a special week this is for you all.