Monday, May 10, 2010

Bob's fourth grade team took all the classes to San Antonio today for a major field trip - Alamo, IMAX theatre, and Museum of Texas Cultures with the cool Back Forty living history exhibit. It sounds like the Back Forty was the best part of the field trip. The kids didn't behave great and the wait at the IMAX was long and difficult. Bob is tired, but satisfied with having given the kids an exciting and educational experience.

I actually used a table saw tonight! I never thought I'd do that. I helped Ruth with the steps for the deck. They look so good. her design is awesome. We also discovered strawberry plants in a corner of the garden, actually producing! I gave up on those plants years ago and had forgotten about them, but our colder winter seems to have triggered production. The berries are tiny still, but definitely strawberries. I even ate one.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Glad that Bob had a satisfying field trip despite the tiredness at the end. I am sure that even though the kids were not especially well behaved it is a trip they will remember for a long time.

Ann said...

What a great day of accomplishment, Victoria. Steps to the deck and strawberries planted long ago.

Ruth said...

I'm happy Bob's trip went well--he's always been amazing at making that sort of thing happen I'm glad he's able to share his talent with the kiddos at Menger.

And I'm SO proud of you for using the CHOP (not table) saw. You did GREAT!

(And I'm happy I didn't mistake raspberries for strawberries--I really THOUGHT I knew they were strawberries!)

Diane T said...

How wonderful to discovery the strawberry plants, and interesting that they seem to be doing well! Enjoy.

Peggy said...

One has to wonder why they try to pack so much into a field trip for 4th graders. I would think the Back 40 and the Alamo would have been a pretty full day. I guess transportation costs are so high that they feel they must really pack the trips but still....

I have used our power tools for many years and when I first decided to use them I suddenly realized how much easier they made the building projects! They made me feel very powerful too (lol).

Victoria said...

Thanks for all the warm comments. Peggy, it is the bus costs that cause Bob and the other teachers to want to cram so much into one day. THese kids, many of them, rarely get out of town to San ANtonio or anywhere else, and Bob wants to maximize the experiences, but sometimes it does seem like too much.