Friday, January 01, 2010

New Year's Day 2010. It seems like a breath ago that we were moving from the 1900's to the 2000's - All the concern about some kind of computer bug that would mess up all the infrastructure and that didn't happen =- Y2K I think they called it. subjectively, time does pass faster and faster as I get older and the current perceived rate is a bit freaky.

At this moment, Bob's clothes are in the drier fopr him to take back to Corpus when he heads back to work on Monday. Chris and Ruth and Bob and I have spent a thoughtful evening discussing the old year and the new year, our hopes and dreams and fears for ourselves and our families. It's been a really good winter break and I have so much more to write than I have focus to write tonight - so, a poem about endings and beginnings and a promise to myself to write here regularly again whether I feel like it or not.

Comfort

Old idea, regeneration.
Pheonix rises from ashes.
Serpent swallows tail.
Wheel of life, cycle
of seasos, circle of
birth and death.
Each beginning requires
the preceeding ending.
Old like the velveteen
rabbit, source of comfort.

2 comments:

Bob Hendricks said...

It feels like 2000 was very recent to me, too. I like the fresh start of the new year except the biggest fresh start for me is when school starts in August.

Mary said...

It is nice to picture all f you discussing the old year and the new year. I look forward greatly to reading what you want to write. I am very glad you are committed to writing regularly here once again. I have missed seeing updates in your very special blog.