Friday, January 04, 2013

Awareness 2

It's daytime now and I can see out the window behind me the devastation still left from Hurricane Katrina. The walkway I thought we would be able to take to the beach was damaged by the storm and there are still broken buildings between our two year old hotel and the water. I can see a lovely barrier island on which there are many dead trees, no doubt storm victims. There are also live trees, which remind me that life force comes back even after a great storm. My insight  that I cannot ever know the whole story of a person or place from what I am shown in a given moment is deepened. Last night I saw only luxury and now I see a history of fear, devastation, destruction, death, hope, courage, and restoration in this spot -and of course, still luxury.

No comments: