Saturday, December 04, 2010

It has been a good Saturday - productive in our paring of belongings and fun dancing to Hanukkah music with Liam, Ruth, Chris and Bob. We had Marie and Bill to dinner, lattkes and curry, smaller scale celebration than most years, but delicious and good company. I asked which darkness to throw light at tonight and Ruth suggested apathy. Deep darkness, that, and seductive. So easy to believe it doesn't matter what we do, how hard we try, that no difference can be enough. And yet I am so sensitive to other people's positive efforts, the note, the smile, the generous act, the words of appreciation. Everything good everyone does matters. And the thoughtless uncaring things hurt on the receiving end. So it does matter what I put out, small scale and large. My endeavor, to continue to care and to act on my values.

2 comments:

Judy Roney said...

I love hearing about your Hanukkah celebration and can see Liam dancing and your family celebrating this special time. I love so many traditions of your familly and throwing light into the darkness of apathy is so appealing to me. I will be thinking tomorrow what I'd like for light to be shed on. beautiful@

Mary said...

Yes, everything good everyone does matters for sure!