Thursday, September 10, 2009

I'm proud of myself tonight. I installed a light fixture-my first Ruth installed a ceiling fan in the living room and I was handing her screws and mentioned that my Dad would be proud of her. He and Mama had made a list of gender atypical skills they wanted any kids to have and installing a light fixture was on the list for girls. Ruth then proceeded to encourage and instruct me to install the light Not so hard, with Ruth guidance. It's odd how many things I have never tried that I probably could do just fine. I love the rewourcefulness of both my daughters, the can do spirit to try all kinds of projects.

On another track altogether, I'm thinking how, on September 10, 2001 we went to bed with no idea that September 11 2001 would be anything but an ordinary late summer day.

2 comments:

Ann said...

A light fixture today....a garbage disposal tomorrow. I have installed several garbage disposals, and I'm guessing a light fixture is much like wiring a lamp which I have done often, but now, by your example, I'm encouraged to take down the hall light fixture that I have hated for the last 22 years. Go Woman!

Mary said...

Congratulations on installing a light fixture. No small thing. You do indeed have resourceful daughters.

Definitely a day to contemplate...I remember September 11, 2001 so very clearly. Hope something like this never happens again.